Are you kidney-ing me? Red beans and rice is one of my favorite savory dishes.
This one is super simple to whip up in the crockpot,set and forget, and then come home to your kitchen smelling amazing.
My best friend dropped off her dog this weekend to watch while she traveled to NOLA to spend time with her family. I’ve never been; and one day I’ll be the one headed out and not left behind with the dog.
You don’t have to be slurping down Hurricanes on Bourbon Street to be enjoying this dish.
What you’ll need:
- 1 bag of dried red beans
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 2 stalks of celery, diced
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 tbs creole seasoning
- 2 tbs garlic, minced
- 8 cups of water
- 1 lb. good andouille sausage, chicken andouille sausage is good too
- 3 cups of cooked white rice
- hot sauce to taste
Let’s get cooking:
- Take andouille sausage out of it’s casing and cook it in a fry pan on medium heat until fully cooked. Set aside.
- Place red beans in a colander. Pick through the beans to make sure there are no stones and discard any split or broken beans.
- Rinse the beans thoroughly, as sometimes they have dust on them.
- Add beans, onion, bell pepper, celery, bay leaf, creole seasoning, garlic, sausage and water to the crock pot. Stir to mix.
- Cook on high in crock pot for 12 hours.
- Serve sausage and beans on top of a scoop of cooked rice. Add hot sauce to taste, I like Tapatio.