Because nothing says comfort like chicken pot pie and mashed potatoes
Ingredientsserves 6, prep 10 minutes, cook 40 minutes adapted from Chicken Pot Pie
- 1/2 cup butter
- 8 oz fresh mushroom, sliced* (if you don’t like mushroom, just leave it out!)
- 1/2 onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 cup flour
- 3 cups chicken stock (bullion works in a pinch)
- 2 cups milk
- 3 cups cooked chicken meat
- 1/2 cup frozen cut carrots* (I like crinkle cut)
- 1/4 cup frozen green beans*
- 1/4 cup frozen peas*
- 1/4 cup frozen corn kernels*
- salt and pepper
*If you have canned veggies instead, just rinse them in a colander before using. Do this to avoid too much salt.
- Melt butter in a large soup pot. Add mushrooms a handful at a time, lightly browning each batch then pushing them to the sides and adding the next handful to the center. (Forget these if you don’t like them!)
- With the last batch of mushrooms, add onion and garlic.
- Saute mixture until onion and garlic are soft. Sprinkle flour over mushroom mixture. Stir and cook several minutes until flour is golden.
- Add chicken stock and milk and heat to a boil.
- Simmer soup, stirring frequently until thickened.
- Add chicken and frozen vegetables, heat soup until hot, stirring occasionally.
- Salt and pepper to taste, serve over a scoop of mashed potatoes.
Serve with biscuits or on top of mashed potatoes(or you could forget the potatoes and serve in a bread bowl). If you store or freeze the soup be sure to store it separate from the mashed potatoes. Otherwise, when you reheat the soup the potatoes will melt completely and throw off the texture.