It seems about every 3 months I get a craving. A craving for pulled pork. It is absolutely delicious and easy to make, the draw back is, it is very difficult to make just a little bit. I used to end up eating bbq pork sandwiches for about a week for lunch and dinner and would get pooped out with it. Something so delicious shouldn’t be exhausted. Below please find my recipe for pulled pork and alternative ways to eat it, so you aren’t just stuck to sandwiches.
- 6-7 pound pork shoulder (some places call it Boston Butt, hehe)
- Dry rub or seasoning mix of your liking
- Poke holes in the pork shoulder like you would a baked potato about to be microwaved, this helps the seasoning sink in and keep the meat tender.
- Dry rub your favorite seasoning blend (I use Creole seasoning) all over the shoulder, covering the entire outside of the meat hunk.
- Place shoulder into a crock pot filled about half-way with water. Cook on low for about 12 hours.
- Take the shoulder out (carefully, it’s been cooking for a long time) and using two forks shred the meat. This will be very easy. I have had occasions where the bone slid right out of the shoulder and the fat peeled off super easily.
PULLED PORK SANDWICHES
- Toast bread or buns;
- Place pulled pork on top of bread;
- Smother pork with your favorite bbq sauce;
- (optional) add coleslaw;
- Close bun, take a bite and begin rejoicing the pork gods.
PORK EGG ROLLS WITH PEACH CHUTNEY DIPPING SAUCE
- egg roll wrappers
- pulled pork (recipe above)
- non-stick cooking spray
- 1 cup peach preserves
- 1 tbs ground ginger
- 1tbs paprika
Instructions for Egg Rolls:
- Preheat oven to 400°F;
- Coat a cookie sheet with non-stick cooking spray;
- Place one square egg roll wrapper on a plate like a diamond;
- Put pulled pork into the middle of the diamond shape;
- Fold the bottom corner up and ensure that the meat is tucked tightly under this fold;
- Continue to fold egg roll by folding in the left and right sides and then the top. Seal the wrapper shut by dipping your finger in a little water and wetting the wrapper like an envelope;
- Place completed egg rolls the cookie sheet and spray a light coat with non-stick cooking spray;
- Bake for about 10 minutes, turning the egg rolls over after 5 minutes. Serve with dipping sauce and loose your mind.
Instructions for Peach Chutney Dipping Sauce:
- Scoop1 cup peach preserves to a small bowl;
- Add ground ginger and paprika;
- Stir and enjoy.
PULLED PORK BISCUITS
- 1 pack refrigerated flaky biscuits
- Pulled pork
- Your favorite bbq sauce
- non-stick cooking spray
- muffin tin
- Preheat oven to 350°F, or follow instructions on packaging of biscuits if different;
- Coat muffin tins in non-stick cooking spray;
- Open biscuit pack (I know! It’s scary!) and pull out one biscuit at a time;
- Separate biscuits, stuffing one half in the bottom of the muffin pan like a liner;
- Fill little cups with bbq smothered pork you have made in a little bowl on the side;
- Top each stuffed biscuit with the other half of the refrigerated biscuit and pinch top and bottom parts of the biscuit shut to resemble a cupcake;
- Pop those little biscuits into the oven and bake 16-18 minutes until golden;
- Remove biscuits from oven and let cool;
- Scoop stuffed biscuits out with a spoon and enjoy!