For the soup:
- 1 medium white onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1 large sweet potato, cubed
- 2 Tbsp yellow curry powder
- 1/4 tsp chipotle (or cayenne) powder
- 3/4 tsp sea salt + 1/2 tsp pepper
- 3 cups coconut milk
For the roasted chickpeas:
- 1 can chickpeas (2 cups)
- 3 Tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 tsp yellow curry powder
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp ginger powder
- pinch chipotle (or cayenne) powder
Let’s Get Cooking:
- Preheat oven to 400 (for chickpeas).
- Then start the soup by sweating the onions in a large pot over medium heat in 1/2 Tbsp coconut (or olive/canola) oil. Cook for a few minutes and then add garlic and stir.
- Season with 1/4 tsp each salt and pepper and stir. Add sweet potatoes, curry powder, chipotle (or cayenne) and stir.
- Cook for 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add 1/4 tsp more salt and pepper, coconut milk and cover.
- Bring to a simmer and then reduce heat to low. Simmer for 25 minutes more.
- In the meantime, prep your chickpeas by tossing them in olive oil and spices and spreading evenly on a baking sheet. Bake for 25-30 minutes or until crispy on the outside and slightly soft on the inside. Remove and set aside for serving.
- At the end of 25 minutes, taste and adjust seasonings as needed. I added about 1/4 tsp more salt and a pinch more chipotle. Then puree using an immersion blender, food processor or blender. Transfer back to the pot if needed and keep heat on low until ready to serve.
- Will keep in the fridge for several days and the freezer for a month or so.
2 thoughts on “Sweet Potato Coconut Curry Soup”
[ Smiles ] Thank you for sharing this delicious recipe!